Dr. Scott Hahn -- (12 Talk Set)
A Personal Note from Dr. Hahn
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:
I love sacred Scripture, and it’s always exciting to study and teach God’s Word. But every once in a while a study will get me particularly excited. This series is one of those times. Why?
1. Of the four Gospel accounts, the Gospel of Matthew has always been my personal favorite. (After over two decades of study, my fervor is still growing!)
2. Matthew tells us more about Christ’s plan to build his Church upon the Rock of Peter than the other three Gospels combined.
3. It was mainly my study of Matthew that showed me how Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant and established the New–in and through the Catholic Church.
4. Matthew demonstrates, more than the other Gospel writers, how the Church is an essential part of God’s plan and Christ’s saving work.
5. Only Matthew shows how the Kingdom of Heaven is inseparably linked to and identified with the Church that Jesus builds and guards.
It is my prayer and expectation that this study of Matthew will lead you into a deeper understanding and appreciation of our Lord, not only the ministry and miracles He performed in the past, but what he wants to do today–in your life, in your family, and in His Church.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
In this series, you'll learn:
• How Jesus predicted the end of the world and when that will be
• How to deal with persecution from religious authorities
• What the main theme is of the Sermon on the Mount
• How Jesus transformed the Jews’ understanding of Holiness from separatism to mercy
• Why Galilee is of such great significance to Matthew
• How Matthew presents Jesus as the new Moses
• Why even Protestant scholars call Matthew “the Gospel of Peter” and “the Gospel of the Church”